Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Merdeka!


To mark our 49th year of Independance,let me share why I love being a Malaysian:

-I love that as we chase wealth and success,family still matters.
-I love that the level of service we enjoy in Malaysia can only be dreamt of elsewhere.
-Of course, the glorious food!In abundance,cheap and available any time,day or night.
-We have wonder exotic fruits like durians,mangoesteens and rambutans....not to forget lychees and mata kucing.
-I am proud of the level of health service in this country which provides excellent primary health care.
-In spite of everything,we actually have prime ministers and leaders who have built on what we have and not destroyed what we have.
-I love that I grew up in a multi-ethnic,multi-religious society and went to school where I had friends and teachers of all races...my life is that much richer for this.
-Amazing how we all celebrate Chinese New Year,Diwali,Eid and Christmas together!
-I am proud that as a Malaysian muslim feminist I see no contradiction between my religion and my feminism.
-And oh, I so love the Tourism Malaysia advertising campaign slogan of
'Malaysia Truly Asia'

(thanks for reminding me Zainah Anwar!)