Saturday, August 12, 2006

....the dying art of letter writing.


There was a time during my teens when my cousin Fahima and I would write pages and pages of handwritten mail to each other and while writing one I would at the same time wait anxiously for the postman to bring me another letter from her!We loved to write....also to draw,paint and make our own cards and pictures....why we even made our own envelopes at one time!I have saved all the letters from her throughout the years and it's such a pretty sight when I come across them whenever I am at my parents trying to sort out stuff.

Letter writing brought me and my dad closer during my medical school years as cell phones weren't the norm then and it was pretty difficult to get some time alone on the phone without others at the dorm waiting impatiently for me to hang up.I still remember on one occasion while I was home for holidays with my parents, my dad actually boasted about my wonderful hand writing (ehm..ehm...) and letter writing skills to all the guests who'd come for a visit that night!

It's so sad how we have resorted to e-mails in our daily lives now.
Letter writing is sometimes frowned upon as being an inefficient mode of communication these days.It many ways it might be but there is nothing like the personal touch one gets by writing/recieving a letter or a card.

And to write a letter with a delicious fountain pen....nothing like it!I've rediscovered letter writing and try to write to a few dear friends of mine whenever I can now....it's lovely to write them and I carry a beautiful old Mont Blanc which my dad gave me ages ago(which was in turn given to him by someone else!)just for that.In some ways I don't have the urgency to check my e-mails frantically everyday as I used to anymore and I kinda like that feeling.....