Monday, February 13, 2006

Ivan and his Dad

I recently got to know Ivan while I was moonlighting.
He's a 7 year old kid with Cerebral Palsy and severe spastic quadriplegia.
Ivan's been through a lot.
His parents however, have stood by him through thick and thin.
They've pretty much foregone a lot of life's little pleasures just so they could be there for him....
So, when the assisting nurse asked me, (while Ivan and Dad were still in the examining room), "So Doc, what's the plan for Valentine's Day?"
"Bah!Valentine's Day indeed!", I scorned.
To which Ivan's Dad said, "come on Doc, you gotta have a Valentine.....mine's right here (affectionately ruffling Ivan's hair),.....and I thank God everyday for giving him to me."
I felt like an ass....
I'll never make fun of Valentine's Day again.
Ever.