Friday, April 28, 2006

The Little Prince


Bought a few new books today....I had to get a brand new 'The Little Prince' for my niece!All time favourite....i seriously even considered taking up french so that i could read the original version once upon a time.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery was a french author, journalist and pilot who wrote The Little Prince in 1943, one year before his death.

The Little Prince appears to be a simple childrens tale.But some would say that it is actually a profound and deeply moving tale, written in riddles and laced with philosopy and poetic metaphor.

So I lived my life alone, without anyone that I could really talk to, until I had an accident with my plane in the Desert of Sahara, six years ago. Something was broken in my engine. And as I had with me neither a mechanic nor any passengers, I set myself to attempt the difficult repairs all alone. It was a question of life or death for me: I had scarcely enough drinking water to last a week.

The first night, then, I went to sleep on the sand, a thousand miles from any human habitation. I was more isolated than a shipwrecked sailor on a raft in the middle of the ocean. Thus you can imagine my amazement, at sunrise, when I was awakened by an odd little voice.

It said: "If you please, draw me a sheep!"