Sunday, December 11, 2005

Profound shopping experience

Went shopping the other day with a friend of mine.
While she was trying out some clothes I was standing near the fitting rooms.I noticed a couple walking in and while the girl took some clothes in to try out, the guy stood with me and smiled at me a couple of times.I told him he must have a lot of patience shopping with women to which he just shrugged and rolled his eyes and smiled some more.
Then the girl opened the door of her room and then began a very intense and interesting conversation about the outfits....and the whole conversation was going on quietly with very rapid movements of the hands and fingers!
I realized then that either both of them or one was deaf/dumb(hearing/verbally impaired if i want to be politically correct!).
Both of them then turned to me and asked me in a sign language that I could understand, for my opinion.To which I promptly pointed out to the maroon and the chocholate coat and both of them beamed at me and seemed to agree!
It made my day!
Got me thinking how difficult it must be to have a handicap like that and still lead a normal life.Even to have someone special who understood and accepted you for who you are no matter the handicap.
I got myself a book which was written by a deaf and dumb author that day......have just started it but I already find it very moving and profound....Some excerpts from the book:

I walk in dreams. I rely on a vibrating clock to get up in the mornings and I stay up at the night when I cannot follow the day's discussions and must rely on myself to study. In twenty-four hours I start and end the day differently while adapting myself to your world.

If I could take the boors of society into my life for a day, I would stop the deaf from being mistreated mocked every day.

If I could show the world the adversity we face every day, the world would gain a newfound respect for the courage of the deaf.

If I could show you all that I have faced, the discrimination and prejudice, you would begin to see me in a different light.

The 21st century world is full of promise for people from all walks of life, deaf and hearing alike. But the deaf community will always walk in dreams until the world acknowledges their existence and importance in creating a better society for everyone.

I walk in dreams